RC Truck and Construction

RC Truck and Construction (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/index.php)
-   Highway Trucks and Trailers (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Lowboy trailer fixation..... (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=8639)

ekim 03-25-2014 11:43 PM

Lowboy trailer fixation.....

Altright you guys.... once again I blame you all as I begin to place my order for the channel and flat stock needed for the lowboy build....once I figure the exact stuff I am going to order aluminum wise I will be hitting you guys ups for wheels and tires and axles etc................

Michael

Exclusive RC 03-26-2014 12:04 AM

Re: Lowboy trailer fixation.....

They are gorgeous trailer for sure! I'm working on my fontaine low boy as well, make sure you put up pics!

ekim 03-26-2014 08:33 AM

I amy have to prove to myself that I can scratch build something worthy of posting.... have alot of woodworking exp... thats about it.... We will see how I fair!!!!!

cabs 03-26-2014 08:54 AM

If you build a lowboy you gotta stretch out the tractor a bit and add a pusher

ekim 03-26-2014 09:03 AM

Okay I hate sounding like an idiot...a pusher??? Help??

petermoblin 03-26-2014 09:17 AM

A pusher axle is the axle that goes up/down to help distribute the weight of the load

diesel950 03-26-2014 09:30 AM

i think a pusher is a non driving axle in front of the drive axles.
we don,t have them down here

TRUCKMAKER 03-26-2014 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekim (Post 107258)
I amy have to prove to myself that I can scratch build something worthy of posting.... have alot of woodworking exp... thats about it.... We will see how I fair!!!!!

I have often thought about building one out of Bass and hobby plywood due to the fact that I have mostly tools that work better with wood than metal at the house. Your experiance will probably allow you to build a very nice looking model out of wood capable of carrying plenty more weight than you'd expect. A little sanding and paint and nobody will no the difference. In the near future I'll be posting pictures of a little experiment I'm working on.

cabs 03-26-2014 12:00 PM

Some call it a tag. Axle in between steer and front drive

ekim 03-26-2014 12:16 PM

Thanks guys.... I am now educated.....I will stew on it.... as well as think about a hard wood trailer LOL.....oak??? Maple???.... hhhmmmmmmm

TRUCKMAKER 03-26-2014 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekim (Post 107268)
Thanks guys.... I am now educated.....I will stew on it.... as well as think about a hard wood trailer LOL.....oak??? Maple???.... hhhmmmmmmm

Now your thinking! :lol: Just make it look like steel!:D

Izzy 03-26-2014 09:19 PM

there was a long drawn out discussion that if I remember right basically ended up with a majority opinion that ....
a pusher - non driven axel that may or may not lift that carries weight but that the actual connecting arms to the frame are behind the axel in question
a tag - non driven axel that may or may not lift that carries weight but that the actual connecting arms to the frame are in front of the axel in question .......

flatdeck 03-26-2014 09:34 PM

Izzy I think it comes down to where you live and work and which Gov't regulations will reflect the names you call it. To me it is a pusher axle is pushed down the road, in front of the drives, a tag axle is pulled down the road behind the drives.. On a trailer I do nod think it makes a difference they are lift axles...

Both can be a lift axle..

Wayne

Ekimjr 03-27-2014 12:14 AM

well it seems that there is a lot of discussion on these axles and im am going to build one with out a following or leading axle i think with the right material and setup it may be possible to get a cleaner look to me with out i have seen all three types otr but not scale so we shall see its TINKER time !!!!! yea buddy

dabears 03-27-2014 02:32 AM

There are plenty of builds that have been done using wood. A super nice Grader is one. after sanding and paint you wont be able to tell if its wood or plastic or metal. Just sayin..

ekim 03-27-2014 07:36 AM

Thanks guys for your input. I am eager to see if I can work with aluminum... if not I always know wood is a failsafe. Qoute of the day: No matter where you go.... there you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael