RC Truck and Construction

RC Truck and Construction (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   New to this, How expensive is this hobby? (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=9216)

Lyle 07-20-2014 10:13 PM

New to this, How expensive is this hobby?

Hello,
As a beginner, how much will I probably find myself spending? I see some models online for around $10,000... Is that average? Or high end? What would good beginner stuff cost? Any help is appreciated!

Lmackattack 07-20-2014 10:40 PM

Re: New to this, How expensive is this hobby?

Welcome to the site... Figure a base king hauler kit is 350-400 add in 200 for a radio. 150 for electronics. That's if you buy new.

If you search eBay you can get the whole package used for around 500-600

Lyle 07-20-2014 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lmackattack (Post 114331)
Welcome to the site... Figure a base king hauler kit is 350-400 add in 200 for a radio. 150 for electronics. That's if you buy new.

If you search eBay you can get the whole package used for around 500-600

What about things like excavators? And can kits be pre-made or are they generally built from scratch?

Acadieman 07-21-2014 08:08 AM

I'll let others chime in, but from what I gather some people have built bruder conversions from roughly $800 and up. The sky is the limit for how much you want to spend.

There are kits for every level, some come as parts, others pre assembled.
Its best to look at some of the post and to follow for a while to determine what you want.

Lmackattack 07-21-2014 05:11 PM

excavators or other construction equipment is a whole diffrent can of worms. I persoanly don't own any but there is so many different options and opinions on what works best. from what I have seen if you want a reliable set up that can lift and move dirt like the real machines its going to cost some big $$$ just to get started. Bruder conversions are on the cheep end of builds nothing wrong with them but if you plan on converting all the plastic parts to metal you will be better off just buying a metal machine to start with. It seams with these machines plan on spending 2k - 4k just to get started.

Lyle 07-21-2014 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lmackattack (Post 114371)
excavators or other construction equipment is a whole diffrent can of worms. I persoanly don't own any but there is so many different options and opinions on what works best. from what I have seen if you want a reliable set up that can lift and move dirt like the real machines its going to cost some big $$$ just to get started. Bruder conversions are on the cheep end of builds nothing wrong with them but if you plan on converting all the plastic parts to metal you will be better off just buying a metal machine to start with. It seams with these machines plan on spending 2k - 4k just to get started.

Aw crap, what have I gotten myself into? :lol:

cosworth34677 07-22-2014 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyle (Post 114373)
Aw crap, what have I gotten myself into? :lol:

do like i did get the truck then do a convert, from there , see if you want to go for a big dollar machine. you can convert a bruder for about 4-800 buck and replace the plastic parts as they break.

Lyle 07-22-2014 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosworth34677 (Post 114402)
do like i did get the truck then do a convert, from there , see if you want to go for a big dollar machine. you can convert a bruder for about 4-800 buck and replace the plastic parts as they break.

Could I, say take an RC vehicle and replace the parts from there, or is a conversion the recommended approach?

pumptech 07-22-2014 05:57 PM

Tower hobbies has a easy pay plan ,that's how I bought my Tamiya King Hauler

Lyle 07-22-2014 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pumptech (Post 114409)
Tower hobbies has a easy pay plan ,that's how I bought my Tamiya King Hauler

What do they have for construction equipment? I'm liking the idea of replacing parts as I go.