Thread: DaBears Day Cab
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 01:15 AM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DaBears Day Cab

OK so I figured since this truck is being build primarily for the dump trailer this was the best spot for this.

I am starting on the visual makeover on the frameless dump trailer that Travis built that I now own. The trailer works awesome so I am not going to change anything mechanical with it.
I have been looking and taking this trailer apart over and over again looking for ideas and ways to make a new dump body. I honestly couldn't really find a way to do so without having the sides milled out. so heres what im thinking and let me know what you think.

To start tonight I started the grueling task of sanding the top rails. here's some shots of just a quick hand sand and polish (once I find a place to set up my wheels it'll get re sanded and wheel polished good!!)

Not sanded bottom rail

quick sand and polished top rail

Now since I cant really replace the sides I can dress them up before the sides get painted so I came up with this... I am going to cut strips of styrene and make "ribs" for the sides. should look something like this (still playing with width and spacing)

they would be glued in place and painted with the truck to match for a matching pair...

Thoughts or ideas? the I thought about completely making new sides all together as well as the front making the front at a slightly slanted forward angle.. but that again requires some metal bending tools and cutters I don't have access too... but I can make it look similar to a rib sided dump trailer. I know that most frameless are tub or round bottom dumps but that's even more work (not that it prob couldn't be done)

Thanks for looking