View Single Post
Old 10-11-2014, 08:43 AM
Green Horn

WhiteWolf McBride is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Replacement parts for Carson STN-L3 trailer...

Thanks Paul...

I could send one of my pair of rectangular 'saddle' pieces so you could make 'em, then you'd have 'em if anyone else wants to replace 'em#

As for measurements: (referencing assembly sequence #8, seen in the afore-mentioned pdf file)
  • the diameter of the axle where u-bolt sits in the depressions is 8.5mm;
  • the width of the 'leaf' is 7.5mm;
  • the diameter of the holes in the 'saddle' are 1.8mm;
  • the unthreaded rod length between threaded u-bolt ends is 45mm;
  • the thickness of the 'saddle' piece is 3mm, assumes I can acquire replacements, I'll need another 3mm of thread on each end;
  • therefore full u-bolt rod length (unbent, before end-threading) would be: 45mm + (2x 3mm - saddles) + (2x 3mm - end-threads) = 57mm (6 pcs.)
I'm going to haul out my scrap perforated steel sheet to see if I can fab up a set of 'saddles', just for the **** of it. I'll see how difficult it is to make one set by hand (I need 6 pair, one for each leaf) using wire-cutters, metal files, and Dremel w/ carbide wheels & drill bits. One advantage to using the perf-sheet is with a piece on top of the leaf, another on the bottom of the axle, I can use regular bolts instead of u-bolts (though the u-bolts would still be better) I'll post pic's if I succeed...

I'll also let you all know how my inquiries to the various suppliers go... in case you want/need to do the same at some point.

WhiteWolf

PS: Anyone have a good mechanism for remote-activation of the ramps? I've seen various ones. This one uses a worm gear on the ramp hinge (yea, Bruder, but same idea!) I've also seen where the actuator is a servo-lever... Opinions? And ~NO~ hydraulics!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCLcxScctV0