View Single Post
Old 03-18-2015, 11:03 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A sliver of metal saved me.

Wow!! I can relate Mario, I was about 21 and we were trying to pull a mobil home onto lot. Frame bottomed out on dip in road so we called my cousin who had a friend who had an old tow truck,,,,, he hooked up a similar hook to the axle to help pull. Nothing was happening and I had to craw under to reposition hook. Slack was on cable so safe,,, closest and easier place to crawl was path of cable. As I got under there the cable hook flew past me, cable was slacked but bent hook and for some reason it was sprung on axle and just happen to "let go " right when I was there. It flew centimeters pas my head taking out wood and siding on back smashing into back of truck enough to dent 1/4 steel plate !! This reminds me of that same experience. It's what I do for a living and it has stayed with me as a reminder even if some things look ok others may not be and to always check everything!!

Ya probably didn't give it as much thought then as you do as you age,,, really make ya think how lucky things can be. What's that saying about the old man being wise? He's not smart but wise from age and experience.
Had a young kid I was working with that I had to keep stressing how important it was to have jack centered on ibeam,, didn't think it mattered and had a 20tone bottle jack fly 3feet off ground smacking him in head,, he was pretty fuzzy rest of day and some stitches later he never questioned when I told him to reset the jack again. I think it scared me more than him!!!