View Single Post
Old 09-10-2015, 01:16 PM

Pricer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Crawler Track Build - American HC230

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelman View Post
Pricer-the blue mold you have pictured for your track pads looks simple enough and should work just fine. The tumbler is the nightmare to me. I would not ever try to cast a part like that. And yes, air is always a problem with a pour mold. Vent holes will only do so much. You may need a shaker table but with a part that complex I think injection molding is the only way. This is a very interesting project and I wish you good luck. And like you said, trying things is how you learn so I say go for it!!
Thank you very much for the encouragement. I am thinking this will be difficult to say the least. The only information I have found so far had to do with pouring a sculpture over a much simpler wire frame. Maybe the inner frame will need to be made thinner or, maybe the tumbler can be made in the same overall finished state by making the part by casting thinner slices or sections of the part and also done in such a way to index one slice to the other. Maybe even doing it in a one piece open top mold. Something new to think about any way. Maybe even cast in some threaded holes too and use a long set screww or threaded rod to hold the slices together.