View Single Post
Old 10-24-2015, 09:56 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Great Dane excavating co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelman View Post
Cooper-your tire plug looks good. Have you decided how you will mold it? After I made mine I figured out a way to make it in to equal halves by using one mold. Make the mold come to the exact centerline of the tire, then pour that part and let dry. Then remove it from the mold and pour the other half and drop the cured half on top while it is wet and the tire will be bonded together. You will need a "key" on the tire and mold to line up the 2nd. half but it should work. If you do it this way you will need a leveling table to have the mold exactly level when pouring. BE CAREFUL WITH THAT ACETONE!!!
Yeah, when the acetone comes into play the fires are out and garage aired out frequently!! Possibly a younger me may have enjoyed the risk!!! But not now .

The way I'm planing on making the mold is to fabricate a mold box, elevate tire enough for second half mold, fill in with clay up to centerline of tire. That is also why I decided on this tread profile with center flat. Pour mold material. Possibly pour a hard mold support on top of that. Flip over, remove clay, clean up any water based clay residue, pour second half with fill/vent spouts. Probably 4 around sidewall of tire. That side will always be the inside of truck. And tire is unidirectional. So any flashing should be at flat centerline of tire that will be easy to clean up and on back of tire. At least that is the plan. I've been watching a few mold and casting videos and that looks like the best way to go. (Again , I think)