View Single Post
Old 02-17-2016, 07:54 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tig welder to purchase.

A lot of good input, thanks guys!!! Well I've spent most of today looking and learning. So,,, I'm still not sure. Like is said before I want a tig for more precise welding on thin steel. But wanted the capabilities to weld alum. Conflict is I would need big expensive welder for 1/2" and up alum. But that's not a necessity for me as I have been bolting big parts like that together so far. Duty cycles are limited on smaller machines but that's fine cuz I don't really have time limits. I wanted the amps for chunkey alum parts but that want translates into expense. I just can't justify to myself spending over 3k for that ability as I don't really need it. But being able to weld 3/16 and thinner alum is doable for under 2k machine. Again with some limitations. But the primary need is on the steel and even a small cheep machine can do that. So I'm at a toss between a moderately priced quality tigger, weight, and duty. Now I'm leaning towards the inverters vs the Lincoln 225 ( good continuous welding) but big heavy!! Kind of knowing what is really needed for thick alum I don't think I need to go there. Maybe by weekend I'll get to the local welding supply and see what they have. Got a lot to think about and ya all were helpful!! Appreciate it.