Thread: Cat D11
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2016, 09:04 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cat D11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvjimd View Post
Cooper, at the show this weekend, did I hear you telling Steve or someone else that the dirt likes to get stuck between the grouser and the pad in front of it? On my little Oliver it does exactly that. I should have took a few close ups of your machine. Do you have a build thread here with a good pic of the track pads?

I'm thinking about machining a few prototype track pads and want to try to reduce the dirt problem if possible. Wonder if the grouser could be moved back a bit?

Mark, could you tell me where you ordered you motors and what the part number is?

Nice to see you both at the show!

Jim
Jim, originally I had pretty close clearance between the track pads, grousers didn't push too much into them. Titandigs was the one who told me I need more space between the pads. Like 1.5-2mm would be good. That's about the size of dirt particles / sand that like to wedge in between and causes them to arch up. As he said like a scared cat!! I ended up machining a bit more off them and that helped. Like mark said I think somewhere in that build thread I talk about it more.
The conversation I was talking to Steve at show was more towards having dirt pile up onto tracks from pushing or turning too sharp and it gets packed into the links from the road wheels and then the sprocket. Similar to someone running in a quarry, a good operator will take caution not to allow rocks to roll into tracks while pushing or turning. It's hard on the 1:1 machines and it binds up the tracks on our 1:14 machines. I was just referring to the links that are in contact with ground. Making a wider gap between shoes has helped with the arch in tracks. Don't know if you noticed but every once and a while I would put blade and ripper down , lift the dozer and run tracks. With that loose , dry dirt at the show that would usually loosen any packed dirt in the chain links and keep me able to get back to pushing. In wet dirt the tracks load up more from pushing too much and spinning the tracks. That's when they sometimes arch up. But once they rotate once it's usually resolved.
Wish I would have gotten more time to talk to ya, I always end up having a blast running the toys. .