View Single Post
Old 02-23-2017, 06:21 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Great Dane excavating co.

I was worried about not having any negative arc and having to cut reliefs in each pad. But there is plenty, although the two reliefs would only help in partical release.

Steve, I am just using a 3/16" rod cut down to 1/8" on each end for the pins. Made out of brass just like first time I did them. They have lasted awhile but I still would like to make a set in steel. I am thinking I'm going to just do them the same way. Steves bushings are better but a bit more work. Although I could still do something similar. The way I have the pins , once the links are bolted to pads is when the links are secured and can roll or grind . In the past the brass pins were the first to wear and not the aluminum. Not saying these are now easy to make but a couple years of hard service isn't too bad. For however old the dozer is , it's had a lot of time in it and links are original. I did replace pins last year. Mistakes I made on them- I cut 3/16 hollow rod and soldered onto 1/8 pins. Figured it would be easier. It was but the solder has reacted with alum and seized to where I can't get them apart. And I don't have any master link. I just take about 6-7 pads off and that allows me to work enough distance in the pins to get the one side to rotate off and then easy to pull tracks.