View Single Post
Old 03-31-2018, 11:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Great Dane excavating co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabco View Post
Very nice, I like the idea of combining set screws with pins to connect the parts. Using thread lock to keep them from backing out? Also, how did you make the slip joint? Broach?
Yes the two joints , one under front frame and one right before rear pinion are broached keyway joints. With this driveline the universal is centered at articulation joint and the driveline is all on the same plane. So I don't need the driveshaft to slip in or out during use. But if for some reason the joints can be easily modified by only clamping on one end and letting the other float. The keyways are cut to length so keys cannot slip out if need be. I don't see needing any expansion/contraction joint on a one plane driveline, but it will not be know until I get a few more steps done. Hopefully tomorrow after all holiday events are done I'll have it spinning. I still need to cut gears from gearstock. Top and bottom transfer gears are boared and keyed, the two center gears I'm going to cut the shafts all in one with the gearstock. I'm waiting on a better fitting collet to arrive so I can machine the gearstock. I can center it in a 4jaw chuck with some soft shims so not to damage the gear but indicating it would be a pain in but. That's why I am waiting on a better sized collet, then I can use the collet blocks or even just the collet to hold it while lathe work.