View Single Post
Old 10-27-2020, 10:51 AM
Craftsman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bruder Delta loader conversion

Ok I got back to this a little bit.... I ran the servo cables down the inside of the arms, I just used a dremel with a little ball shaped cutter to open up a hole in each one of the arm supports so the wire stays in and out of the way. I took it out the back and down each side in the cavity on each side of the loader and will just hot glue the connectors in there so they don't flop around

Now I have to get the lift working .... this part of the build has worried me the most 'cause a wrong cut means buying another loader for a new set of lift arms...Turns out it wasn't as bad as I thought.
First I guess I was a little rough getting my loader apart because the cross bar was cracked on one side so it had to be cut anyway.... I didn't want to go all the way thru with a nut or bolt on the outside but it just seemed to be the simplest and strongest way to do it.

I used a piece of 3mm threaded rod then covered it with apiece of 7/32 plastic tube. The threaded rod fit perfect in my little airplane control rod thingy so I cut the tubing and used that to keep my lift rod from sliding around. Then I cut a small slot in a piece of 9/32 tubing for the lift rod to slip into then slipped the whole mess over the control rod..

Held it in place and slipped my threaded rod thru then put a nut on each end, I used locktite on one end to act like a bolt head so far it's been working...

I was a little concerned the piano wire wouldn't be strong enough so I built a heavier, adjustable version. If I have to use it I'll just modify my cross bar

Getting the length on this was a little tedious if I got it to seat good and tight then I was a little shy on the total lift...it was only a tiny bit shorter but I was trying to maximize it as much as I could... so I went with it not seated as tight but with max lift.... The heavy duty lift rod is adjustable the wire one isn't.... I'm going to run it this way for a while once it's done and see how I like it, then I may change it just to see how it does then..
Frizzen suggested I use an arm on the front side of the servo that goes straight up and down, it involved adding another cross bar which I was nervous to do... but I was already kind of committed to this method. I think if I do another one I may go that route it looks smoother over all.... or I may change this one....I'm learning as I go....At least I haven't ruined the toy yet LOL