Thread: Sterling Dump
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Green Horn

Heavy Metal is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sterling Dump

(Note:I changed my screen name from jbothell to Heavy Metal. Thought it was time for proper screen name. I dropped a note in Welcome section too. Joe).

Okay, you might be tired of hearing about the grill for this truck so good news, I think we got a winner and can move on. This thing gave me a real a$$ kicking last night but somehow I saved it. Broken end mills. Circuit breaker tripped in middle of job (don't ask....it was dumb). When this thing finally emerged from the mill it required serious hand work attention. I really should have taken a picture of it...it was a mess. Anyone that thinks you buy a CNC machine and it just makes parts...man...it can test your patience. There's a defect in the S on the grill...and the whole S relief was actually cut with a broken emd mill (again, don't ask). I think you will agree it was worth it though.

I'll make a batch of these in a few weeks but need to work on some things with the mill files. Thinner grill slats look a lot better but were a problem. Also thinking I was taking too big a bite and burned up and broke a couple end mills. The bottom piece has been easy. Already made a few of those and they are cranking right out.

So here's how we got here...all the prototypes and mistakes...learned a lot about CNC milling along the way....

And here's the final top and bottom grill set....got the S emblem and made the slats a lot thinner. Did a styrene piece for below bottom grill that will be painted same as cab body. Filled in background of relief milling w/ Sharpie marker for now.

Thanks for looking! Joe