View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 04:29 AM

Southgate is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1/25 6 Axle Lattice Crane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbuilder View Post
Dan , have you looked into these http://banebots.com/pc/ELECTRONICS/BB-0309 I may be getting a bunch of them

IHSteve
WHAT!!!!!!????????

(in my whiniest voice)
Where was this info when I was paying way too much for the ESCs I'm using!!! Oh, if only I had found you guys about a year ago!!! (WAHH!) It would have saved a ton-o-munny, two tons of hard work figuring out how to make this thing work, and about a cubic acre inside that freekin upper unit!!! (snivel, sob)

If you only KNEW the grief I went thru! I had 4 ESCs in the upper unit, all powerful enought to start a real D-8 Cat on a cold day. They wouldn't work on the rotation (slewing) motor, it would jerk very erratically at best. So I replaced it with TWO larger ones to consume enough current to register with the ESC (read: machine out a whole additional motor access and mounting apparatus) Didn't work. Was better, but not acceptable. Then I got to remembering how smooth it ran on tethered DC with a train control for speed, right? I gutted an MRC train power pack and put a servo on the speed control pot, wired it to it's transistor, and that to the motor. All hiding in the bodywork. Works extremely well, but uses a lot of space and 2 channels, speed and direction

BUT!!! (sniff...drying up a bit now)

It's not too late. Please tell me those controllers can handle loads in the 100 milliamp range smoothly,at hyper low speeds? huh-huh-huh? (Just barely pouting still)

I'll be able to convert the slewing back to one channel , making for easier operation, and I'll have that whip line (small lighter duty, faster drum) back in the crane so fast on the 4th channel yer head'll spin, or at least mine will. this will still leave more room in the body than there is now. (starting to smile a little)

I knew there had to be a way to remote control low speed low drain operations. Had no clue where to start looking. Robotics! Shoot, there are probably tons of forums...

Thanks Steve!!!

Greg, do you have a picture of the log loader and outriggers you are talking about?

Thanks for looking, and watching a grown man lose all composure