Thread: RC4WD Excavator
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 10:19 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation
Default Re: RC4WD Excavator

I don't think there is anything wrong with the motor/pump Scott, I'm starting to think that this choice of brushless motor is to coincide with 3s lipo with a nominal voltage less than 12 most of the time.

And you're right as well Steve, the pressure is set much too high! If I hook anything solid with the bucket while drawing the stick towards the cab, the whole model will slide forward instantly without hesitation. This model doesn't have the gvw to handle that kind pressure. I haven't monkeyed with the pressure relief yet, not alot of time for play this wk thus far.

I don't know how using jumper cables would be of any benifit Rob? it's 14ga wire coming out of the esc.

Nathan, Willy; all good info, thanx.

It was the 18ga power cord that was cooking and that happened very quickly after increasing the EPA from 23% to 30% (increased motor rpm). Having the EPA even at 25% was making the 14ga wire warm. Currently I have it set to 20% and that seems to make the pump run plenty fast & the 14ga wire remains cool.

I have an inline fuse on this power cord with a 20amp rating, it never blew with the 18ga, but the plastic housing got so hot that it started to melt & broke connection with the model. I shut the pump off & held the inline fuse holder by hand to keep its shape till it cooled. It still works.

I used the model for a few hrs intermediantly this morning, it worked fine with the 20% EPA on the car battery.

Perhaps on Sunday I'll have some time to figure out how to implement a press guage to see what its really putting out & then adjust it lower for a more feasible operating manor.

Currently, once the pump runs for a minute or so, the flow volume gets pretty quick and makes the hoe somewhat jerky to operate b/c the cyls cylce so quick! Definitely need less pressure. The way it's set might be fine for 3s lipo, but much too high for 13v car battery.

Joe