View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 08:24 AM
Wannabe

Snowman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nick's 379 build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
Great work, Nick! I like the stance. She's got a little rake to her, but maybe a trailer on the back would level it up? Or, from the looks of it, the front end could be raised just a tad. The wheel isn't exactly centered in the fender, unless you are going for that front end on air bags, dropped look? Either, way, it's a beautiful ringer of a Peterbilt truck. I like the extended hood! What tires are you running? They look like some nice low pros.
Thanks Nathan. Yeah it does have quite a rake but I'm still playing around with the dummy airbags on the rear axles. It's a complicated operation of cutting down springs, squeezing them into the rubber gaiters, bolting the end caps to the suspension and stretching the gaiters over them, then standing back and taking a look to see I need to start over again. Kinda takes it out of me each time! It does squat a little bit under weight, I tested 8kg on the back. For now I'm just going to have to keep it at that ride height, any lower and the qtr fenders get torn clean off when driving around my house! Ideally I would like some working airbags but that's a long way off. I can always drop the rear for shelf queen/photo session duties. The rake only shows at eye level, not when it's driving around on the floor.
I spent ages perfecting the drop on the front end, there's no way I'll be raising it! Actually I lowered the front axle a bit but also dropped the fenders too, it's all part of the low rider look. I think that's what makes the hood look so big. I've not added anything to the length of it, just lengthened the cowl by about 5mm. The lack of breathers makes it look longer too, but that will be rectified soon. The body also sits a bit lower due to the modifications I made to the shape of the hood, it meets with the cab higher than the original kh hood. The biggest challenge will be engineering the flip up bumper but I think I have it nailed (in my head at least). My challenge with this build has been the trade off between having it slammed to the ground but still having enough clearance to drive it about the house. This baby's not going to see much action outdoors! Not many places I can take it where I live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamweaver View Post
Lookin Sweeet Nick. Good job on the styrene work.
Thanks, that has taken the most amount of time out of everything. But you know all about the headaches of styrene work with your classy shak!

My Peterbilt build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Snowman; 11-11-2011 at 08:24 AM. Reason: typo