View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 02:45 PM
Apprentice

SWAGGER is on a distinguished road
Default Knight Hauler Harley Davidson 100th Anniversary Edition

Hi all,

Well thought I should pop up a thread on my first build. The truck that got me hooked on trucks!

The story behind it is this; I came across these Tamiya kits by chance, browsing the web. After watching a lot of YouTube vids etc I knew I had to have one. I have always been a fan of American cars and trucks. I could not decide on which kit though, they all looked great, but I eventually went with a Knight Hauler. I actually got this in late August 2010 and pretty much built it in a few evenings, just couldn't stop until it was done!!

After further research, I bought an MFU and ball bearing kit and stripped it down and rebuilt it. I didn't want to paint it as I just hadn't got the skill or experience to do the job I wanted. With the winter kicking in, I couldn't even practice painting (outdoors - no workshop) so I put it away.

This summer I took the truck back out and just basically admired it and thought of all the things I could do and modify etc while I practiced painting a few things. I bought a compressor and airbrush and restored a few busted up electric guitars with good results and eventually felt ready to paint the truck.

Next problem, color and theme. This was tough. I just couldn't settle on anything. My girlfriends dad has a 100th Anniversary Harley that he bought in the US and brought home. One day while helping him work on it, he suggested I use the bike as a theme, ie, black and silver with gold pin pinstriping and the 100th Anni badge etc. I immediately loved it and got cracking. I also bought amber flashing beacons from Axles Modelbau in Germany, the Carson mirror and horn set and the Tamiya animal gaurd.

On to the pics: