View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 07:15 PM
Apprentice

SWAGGER is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Knight Hauler Harley Davidson 100th Anniversary Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6wheelking View Post
nice paint, how you do your gold pinstrip?
Thanks 6wheelking, it was pretty easy really. I hope I can explain it clearly...

The silver stripe is exactly 14mm wide and the gold pin stripe is 2mm wide.
I started out with Tamiya 14mm masking tape and laid it out on the black in exactly the position I wanted the silver stripe to be in the end.

Then, I ran two more lines of tape parallel to that one, one on each side, with a 2mm gap, for the gold pinstripe.

Once that was done, I removed the original centre stripe of tape and was left with a wide stripe of exactly 18mm. Then I masked out everything bar that 18mm gap. The pic above showing the truck in black all masked up, was just before I shot the silver and this is showing the full 18mm stripe.

Once the 18mm of silver was dry, I ran the 14mm tape back down the middle of the silver, again, leaving myself with a 2mm gap down each side, and shot the gold. When that was dry I removed all tape and then wet sanded the lot before clear coat.

I hope that makes sense, if not, let me know and i'll try better to explain it.

To be honest, I would not have achieved such clean lines if not for the airbrush and the Tamiya tape. It's good tape, sticks well without leaving too much residue and doesn't lift too easy unless you want it to. It also gives a really clean line. I just used heavier decorators tape to cover large areas.

I built up all of the colours with a few coats so that I had plenty of room for flattening it without going through. I learned the hard way, but Youtube was full of tips on painting. Spent hours watching vids.

EDIT: Just for reference, it's a Testors compressor with moisture trap and an Aztek airbrush (made by Testors)

Last edited by SWAGGER; 11-11-2011 at 07:22 PM.