View Single Post
Old 11-19-2011, 01:07 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Does anybody make aluminum Tamiya rig axle cases?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyGearDrive View Post
Nathen,I myself have only blown one pinion gear apart,& that was cause of my own stupidity. Pulling a loaded semi dump w/a loaded 6x6 dump,pulled the shaft right out of the gear. Now your talkin moving a LOT of weight through one little shaft. I highly doubt you'll be putting your tractor under these kinda loads.Plus the tractor will never get the traction of a loaded dump truck w/locked diffs & fulda tires on it.
The F-350 diffs work just fine, a little cutting & they look just ducky.
With a little time involved,you would never know that they were a steer axle to start with. Just used one in my tractor/loader in the rear,& that baby is heavy.She'll spin the tires in dirt w/no problem!
F-350 axles are everywhere & cheap,you can go through a boat load of 350 axles,before you hit the price of a couple aluminum axles.
Just my .02 on this topic.
FGD
Thanks for the input Fred. I considered the Tamiya axles because they are cheap and readily available, pretty much like you said. I was really surprised how much the plastic cases flexed. Normally you can't flex them by hand, but I was bolting them up to some side plates for my tractor chassis, and I could easily flex them, by pulling the plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm4g63punk View Post
i dunno if these are what your your looking for but there about as scale as it gets http://www.rcchannel.com.tw/index.php?cPath=34
Thanks, and I have seen those before. In fact we kind of talked about them earlier in this thread. Apparently they kind of have a bad rapp, or at least the early versions do. Gear failures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonfarmboy View Post
I owned the company when we developed these. I've only seen 2 guys blow them up on 4S with a Holmes Puller. Plan on building a heavy hauler and will be using these.

http://rcpcrawlers.com/product.php?p...&cat=17&page=1

(Grrrr just noticed there's only 1 in stock right now)
Those are beefy! Thanks for the link!

For all the good info here, I've since decided to go with something else, anyway. Plans change all the time! I think I'll do something a little different!