View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 01:26 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Espeefan's slow motion Peterbilt Heavy Hauler build

Thanks Rick! I really appreciate that. Here are the details on the lift axle mods.

What I did was mill two notches or 'steps' into the center section of the axle. I did not cut the axle in half, but rather milled a notch on one side, flipped the axle and milled a second notch. Where the notches met in the middle, the axle became two pieces. Once the halves are over lapped, the axle is effectively narrowed.

I drilled some holes through the modified center section, and tapped the lower holes for some 3mm screws. When assembled, the two 'stepped halves' of the axle seat against each other, and the 3mm screws just keep the halves solid.

Now what I didn't think about was how I would make an upper link mount, and how I would secure that to the axle as well. Originally I thought I'd bolt a mount to the top or bottom of the axle, but I wanted to keep it really clean looking. So I went back and milled the center keyway into both axle halves. Then I machined the 4 link mount to match the keyway. When it's all assembled, the mount is totally captured in all directions and it's solid as can be, even though the screws do not pass through it. The whole assembly is 'lightly' press fit together and very strong.

Hope this gives you some ideas! If you have any questions, let me know!