View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012, 12:59 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Pete " The Green Monster"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAGGER View Post
I always thought that diesel was colored for duty/tax reasons. In Ireland anyway, GREEN diesel is commercial fuel, highly taxed at about 70% over forecourt cost. **** government duty! Then there is RED diesel, which is taxed on a much lower bracket, for agriculture, farmers and tractors and so on.

The color is obviously not natural, but an additive, so that customs officials can ID the diesel at a glance. Yep, you guessed it, that means that there is (or was) a black market for RED diesel, but they have really cracked down on it over the years. The cops here used to do random spot checks. You would get pulled in and they would actually dip your tank! I always just laughed at them as I only ever drive petrol.

As for this model, it rocks! And you nailed the fuel tank. Love seeing something new, well done!
You might be right! I had no idea there was green diesel fuel. I've only ever seen red for off road use, and clear for highway use. I've bought fuel at truck stops before, and it's always more expensive, but it didn't look any different the the usual on-road diesel. Maybe it doesn't look green till you've got a whole bunch of it. I imagine you could have some fun with a clear tank cap. Make a false cap, see through, and fill it with red, in a big rig.