View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 01:29 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What motivates you!!

I can relate to this topic! The last few years, my motivation for RC projects has come and gone, more then once. What really wrecks my motivation is hitting a creative block, or worse, having an idea and no way to implement it. Building my current Wedico has been a trial. There were a lot of things I wanted to correct, but I would just have no idea how to go about it, or when I got an idea, it required skills and tools I did not yet have. That project got pushed off to the side more then once because of this, but I never lost the desire to have a finished model. After a few months, maybe even a year, I'd always come back with a fresh mind, and some great ideas I could make work. The thing is, even when the truck was collecting dust on the shelf, my mind was always thinking about it. How I could fix this or that, how I could make the truck what I wanted it to be, and how I would accomplish things. But my bigger problem is I'm a perfectionist, and I can't settle for just living with it. Even so, I've found sometimes you just have to compromise and find a happy medium.

Best advice I can give you is if there is something holding you up, sleep on it, and come back to it later. Work on something you can accomplish (on the same model), in the mean time, to keep moving forward. If the thing that is holding you up is a major stumbling block, and stopping the rest of your progress, pull up your skirt, dig in, and get it done. I've changed things 3 or 4 times, since I started building my truck. Don't be afraid to go back and re-do things. Don't ever be afraid to just dig in and get your hands dirty either. If you find you can't accomplish the job to your satisifcation, find someone who can help you. Or try, try again.

When all else fails, just read everyone's else build threads. You'd be surprised at the good ideas you'll find. If nothing else, it just gives you the inspiration you need to carry on, but don't fall into the trap of spending all your free time reading about everyone else's projects. Better to go build something of your own, then spend all your free time on the internet watching what everyone else is doing.

Also, resist the urge to start multiple projects. I had a serious problem with this. I know some guys are able to have 6 projects going at one time, but not me. It just slows me down from getting anything done. Not to mention, spending the funds in a bunch of different places, spreads things far to thin.

Last edited by Espeefan; 02-19-2012 at 01:45 PM.