View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 02:21 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 1/14 Grader Caterpillar 12F

Wow. Everytime I look at the photos of the grader, even in a half assembled state, my mind keeps saying it's a full-sized 1:1 machine because everything looks so exact and beautifully made to scale, yet I know better, if only because the gear head motor for the drivetrain is visible. If it wasn't for that, I'd think for sure this was a 1:1 Cat 12F, going through a restoration, in someone's shop!

I really like the way the gear is keyed to the shaft, on the flat. I would have never come up with something like that. That is far superior to a set screw (grub screw) threaded through the gear hub. Much more robust with the key. I'm always learning something new.

The one thing I am a little surprised about is you decided to include some plastic gears in the drivetrain. Were you thinking of doing that for sacrificial purposes, to prevent any damage to other components? The weak link, being the 'fuse'?

Is this grader going to have cab, or will it be an open station model?