View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 11:12 AM
Green Horn

FlyingBeagle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scratch Build Cost?

I am very new to this hobby and so far have spent all of my time in it reading threads and watching videos drooling over the craftsmanship that is put into these models. Cost is the main reason I have not jumped in yet.
What I find intersting about this hobby is this. I have been involved in RC airplanes for years. I have seen planes that people have spent thousands of dollars on and years building that would blow your mind on the scale details, but if they were to sell it most would not expect to get out of it what they have invested dollar wise let alone money for the time. Recent example, I just purchased a 50CC scale edge 540 plane from a fellow club member. It came with all of the control linkages, servos, voltage regulators etc... The plane was little more than a year old and was in excellent condition. The kit cost $450 and it had another $450 in high torque digital servos and probably another $100 or so in misc hardware and electrical components. I gave him $450 and he was happy to get it. He had been trying to sell it for a couple of months for a higher price but no one was intersted.

In this hobby it appears someone can invest a couple of thousand dollars in a piece of equipment and then sell it for double that and fell they came out even because of thier time investment. Do we not spend time on this hobby because we enjoy it? Do we really feel we must get paid for our time. Scratch built equipment is one thing because it truly takes a craftsman, but A $475 knight hauler that is for sale for $900 because it has been assembled. Come on, I Would rather save $425 and not have to fix someone elses screw ups. Maybe Im wrong and it has to do with supply and demand, but it seems most everyone is trying to profit from the hobby and I just find it interesting.