Thread: Sand Paper Help
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 06:57 PM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sand Paper Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
Depending how are the Poly-Flex is to sand, I'd think about starting with something like 100, 150, or maybe 200 grit. The lighter grit paper just plugs up really fast. I've had really good luck wet sanding bodies. I do it in a sink (not the kitchen sink!) and fill a bowl or container with a soapy water mix. I rinse the paper now and then in the soapy water, and the body, under the faucet. Might take some time, but it will smooth over nicely.
I always hear people say to wet sand things, but heres my question on it as i have never done it, when you wet sand does the filler loosen up or soften up at all? I tried it once after using regular modelers putty but when i got the body wet and started sanding it just started taking chunks of my filler out... Not sure if it was the filler i was using or i didnt let it cure all the way (waited 2 days) but i have had no luck with it. Any ideas as to what i may have done wrong? I have some more filling and sanding to do on my fenders and the smoother i can get them the happier ill be.