View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of
Default Re: Where to get longer frame rails that are drilled and tapped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joat View Post
You are correct, and I am suprised no one offers them cnc'd in like +4",+5" etc.
I understand what you want but here is the issue. You have to make a lot of sets of each length to make them cost effective. Then comes the problem of a lot of builders use custom steps and tanks or the use a different suspension, then they would be left with a lot of extra holes which is what most are trying to get rid of in the first place. I just don't see enough builders stretching a stock truck. This is why blank frame rails are offered.

You have stock rails so using them as a template to drill is not that hard just use one rail clamp it to the new rail and use the current holes to drill the new holes. The only holes that will be a bit tricky are the cab mount, trans mount, and fifth wheel holes. For these drill a corresponding hole through the opposite flange on the stock rail so you can sit the stock rail on top of the new one and now you have two holes to go through which will just make it easier to keep them strait like the holes for the steps and tanks.

After you drill one rail use the new rail you just drilled clamped to the other new rail so both will be exactly the same. The only holes that cant be transferred from the first rail are the cab mount, trans mount, and fifth wheel holes but you can use the stock rail you used the first time.

Use bees wax to lubricate your tap and put the tap in your cordless drill and you can tap a lot of holes real fast.

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11