View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scratch Build Cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymcc View Post
What kind of tools do you guys use to do most of your scratch building? Could a newbie/ beginner do some basic builds with tools around the house?
If you have never built a kit before, I would start there. Just pick a truck kit you like and build it stock out of the box. Tamiya's come with the unquie tools you need and if you have basic hand tools such as small screw drivers pliers etc. you'll be fine. Then when you have the basic assembly skills you can take the truck apart and start over, scratch building what you want. Sratch building from a beginner stand point is not the less expensive way to go to when your first getting started. You can easily build a basic truck and trailer kit with radio and have some fun for well under a $1000.00 if you do your home work. Scratch building could most likely take you well into the thousands depending how deep you want to get. That being said, a drill press, scroll or band saw and belt/disc sander are a good low dollar start to the never ending list of scratch building tools.
This is all just from my experiance and my opinion, there is a lot of talent, experiance and information on this forum. Use the search feature and search for tools, you'll find threads with pictures and descriptions of what some of the builders use. Good luck and and have fun!