View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 07:33 PM

hintzconst is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 6 Cylinder Diesel For a D9

Its been too hot the last couple days to get into the shop and get anything done but sweat. I got the mill fixed and was able to finish roughing out the stock so that I can rough out the block this week. I did, however, get the crankshaft laid out so that is all designed as well as the connecting rods and pistons. So hopefully I'll have a long block in about 2 weeks. The head and overhead cam I still have lots of work to do, but everything is getting easier as we go. One thing I need to figure out is how to evenly heat up since I don't have anything that gets that hot. I was thinking of looking for pottery kilns on craigslist.

@ TC1CAT

As I had mentioned earlier in the thread the reason I wanted to build a fully functioning scale diesel engine was because I had only found 1 on the internet that actually worked, and that was a four cylinder, naturally aspirated.

As for the breaking of the drawbar, one of my employees had stripped 1/2" of the 3/4" of thread that goes into the collet and because I was just straight roughing I was pushing the mill pretty hard. I was taking aprox. .500 x .250 cuts with a 3/4" solid carbide endmill at aprox. 10 ipm feedrate in solid cast iron. The chips were coming right off but the drawbar being already weakened couldn't keep up and the rest of the threads stripped off leaving the collet to spin and bounce.