View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 01:09 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Sealing Hydraulic Cylinders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNmayhem View Post
Joe, that piston is aluminum as thats what I had available. I will look at some stainless polished rod that hopefully has a better finish and I can try making that work as well.

My main thing is, how is the front of the ram sealed. Whether it be an o-ring or actual U-cup seal? Thats about the biggest obstical I'm having to over come.

Thanks for the information though.

Tyler
Tyler , on a real 1 : O-rings with backup rings and a wiper seal . For what we do just an o-ring . Real 1's use chrome rods (polished) thats what you want to have . I use 304 L ss from online metals . From the mill it comes very smooth . Another issue could be your piston seals are too tight . Looking at you ram pics , def. too course . I should note , if your cap (gland) is cocked in the slightest way that will make it leak also .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.