View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 07:23 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Wedico Rear Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by cushman View Post
Hi Espeefan,
Thanks for replying to my problem. I looked at both the manufactures you gave me and I will go with the Scaleart suspension. The one I thought would be correct is Rear Axle Air Springs Dummy for 2 axles 71000015 is that correct ?. The other thing I looked at was new leaf springs for the front axle as I think the Wedico ones make the truck sit too high. I looked at the
Scaleart site but they didn't list any.
Regards Cushman.
Cushman, I don't know much about Scale Art's simulated airbag suspension. I have looked at it in the past, but the one thing I think you will find with this kit is that the bags really don't have much give, thus your suspension will not have any travel. If these bags are made from the material I am thinking they are, they are foam elements of some sort, kind of like an ear plug. They have some give, but are stiff enough that the axle really doesn't have much travel at all. If scale looks are important to you, over function, then you could definitely purchase the air ride from Scale Art. If you really want a suspension that works, however, then I'd suggest you go with the walking beam spring suspension instead. It's going to give you the most articulation and travel possible.

The stock Wedico suspension, for front axles, is not really my favorite design either, so I don't blame you for wanting to change that out as well. There are a couple things you can do with your truck, if you are wanting to lower the ride height in the front.

You can mill the front axle blocks off, which is what I did with my truck. Craig also mentioned this in his posts. You can run the stock spring with a milled axle like this, and drop the front ride height quite nicely. You also run one or two less springs on the stock Wedico leaf pack. It wil lower the truck more, and give you a little softer suspension, which is also good. Some guys have also flattened the stock springs, and take then curl out of them. This also helps. You can try a combination of these ideas to see how you like them.

Here is how my truck rode with the milled front axle and a leaf spring removed.

The other thing you can do is talk to Ric and purchase an Osswald front suspension kit for the Wedico, like Craig mentioned and showed. The Osswald springs are flat and have no curve. They will lower the truck's ride height too, even with a standard front axle. If you want to really drop the truck's front end, run a milled steering axle, with the Osswald springs, although you might find that combination to put the truck in the weeds, and the rear of the truck will definitely sit higher then the front end, giving you some pretty serious rake, like a drag car. I used the Osswald front suspension kit on my truck, but I am running a driven front axle. It works just as well with a driven or non-driven axle.

You could also purchase a Scale Art front axle suspension kit, and install it on your Wedico. If I build another Wedico truck, this is what I will probably do, along with the rear walking beam spring suspension. As I said, Osswald changed the design through the years, and they did so with the front suspension as well, though the front is basically tthe same as it was before. The hangers have changed slightly, but the springs are still the same.

I think that I would go with this kit for the front -

http://www.scaleart-shop.de/Axle-Sus...axle::173.html

Even though it says for a driven front axle, it looks a lot like the Osswald kits I have, and I don't see any reason it wouldn't work just fine a regular non-driven steering axle.