View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 03:42 AM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Aeromax AWD flat bed.

Explain to me the logic behind how being in front or behind the axle makes a difference . Maybe because the way the modle axle is setup . But , in real life it doesn't make a difference as too the effect of the steering . I've seen it both ways . I believe the reason for tucking the tie rod behind the axle is more of a protection thing , whereas the axle is designed to take bending loads while the tie rod is designed for tensional loading . To put in simple terms that spinaly lil tie rod will bend fairly quick if it were to get snagged . As for sliding there are a# of factors : weight distribution , locked rears , length of truck . My paystar has the tie rod in the front , being it's long and heavy , I have no steering issue whatsoever . FWIW , it's no shelf queen

on edit : having review the Ackerman design yes in principal it should be in the back when ever possible . but also the position of the steering arm is critical to have the true Ackerman effect . If not followed , it ( in theory ) wouldn't make a difference as to what side of the axle you put the tie rod on . I would like to get a pair of these axle's just to see what can be adapted to them

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.