View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 04:46 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation
Default Re: Aeromax AWD flat bed.

http://www.beam-wiki.org/wiki/Steeri...erman_Steering

The pic above, say up is forward. Notice how the left tire (inside wheel of the turn) is so much sharper than the right? Then picture down is forward & you'll notice the opposite has happened.

I got this lil red dump trk that Freddy built, 1st load on it I peeled the tamiya floats off the rims (WTF?!). Thinking the floats didn't have enough sidewall strength, I changed them out to the Tamiya standard tire & the same thing happened.... turn the trk over for a look see & yep! tie rod infront! Something else that I took note of was this shorter wheelbase dump couldn't make turn before the entry level to the wooden ramp by the water heater. My KH which is a 6x4 too & the w/b 3.25 inches longer does make the turn without backing up.

I built some hay wagons from semi truck frames, I turned the front axles around so the tie rod is in front, made it easy to cut the tie rod tube, weld in another ball joint & bolt each side directly to the hitch tongue for easy control of the steering... what a mistake!!! you should see this thing rip up the ground while turning sharp loaded, the two tires fighting each... ofcourse the wagons still make a reasonably sharp b/c the tractor pulling them ultimately decides that, but the outside tire of the turn really rolls up the dirt b/c it's way too sharp!

Heck, even my combine with rear steering has the tie rod behind the axle. Combine cuts pretty sharp going forward, much wider turn in reverse, it will not follow the same track.

Try putting your tie rod behind the axle Steve, I'll put money on it that it turns shorter & smoother.

Joe