View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 09:12 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 1950 Kenworth Needlenose

Okay guys, here's a small update. Fuel tank saddles! These things, I tell you, they test my patience, no matter what kind of truck I'm building. Machining the ones used on my Wedico Peterbilt was way tougher, but these Kenworth style tank saddles are not going quite as easy as I thought they would. Never the less, I've made some headway.

I made a test piece first, to see if my ideas would even work. It didn't turn out to bad. The test piece is the only one in the following photo that has been machined to a finished state (more or less), and it's standing upright.

The other five pieces are still in a semi-raw state.

I made five, for those 'oops, just in case' mistakes. I only need to get four right. One can be a practice piece. Here is the first test piece, bolted to the truck. The radius is larger then it should be, but hey, that's why it's a test piece! The tanks are going to be 1.5" in diameter, when it's all said and done.

Don't mind the oil and 'luminum chips! I guess I didn't wipe them all off, for the photo!

Just a little mock-up photo to see how everything might look. The quarter fender is not permanently mounted yet. I'm not sure on the exact placement yet, but it does look decent right where it's at. The fuel tanks are going to be shorties. I like the way they look, and it's fitting, for a day cab.

And a couple of the quarter fender.

Now I need to finish the rest of the tank saddles, and start making some tank straps. That's all for now. Thanks for looking!