View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 09:57 AM

catmack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Possible Solution For Tracked Equiptment

I was waiting until I had enough posts (not sure if I am even allowed to post this) and if I need to move or delete it, let me know.
I am really into fine detail as most of you are so, whatever I do will have as much of it as I can put in it. That being said, I thought I should jump in here and put in my 2 cents since I already have an enormous amount of time invested in it. Business is slow and I am putting the shop to good use. IH builder, you are correct about extrusions and punching the holes and such as I am making the (punch) dies for the 1/14th scale size pads for a 80,000lb class dozer/excavator in the shop now. The following samples are what the end product will look like cut from the stock minus all additional processing. I cut these out on my wire machine so, the finish is nice but, the extrusion finish will be more of a mill finish like any other extrusion, once it is in the dirt for a while it won't look like an extrusion anyway. This will be run in 6063T5 not 7075 because extruder cannot run it and I don't think there are not too many that have the capability here in the states that can with this size shape. I really don't think it would be worth the extra cost to do it either??. The complete unit in black, is the scale version rendered on a 3D printer, it is very accurate considering the rough finish. The bolts are 0-80 and fit right into the holes perfectly. The links are going to be of both steel and aluminum base if possible, will let you know how that goes shortly, the file is out for feasibility and quote. These pads will be bolted with 0-80 or 1.5mm scale bolts specifically for this purpose. I do have pricing for the pads in aluminum, not sure if I am allowed to post here if at all. Steel pads are also going to be an option, something I would like to discuss along with several other issues with everyone at the right time. I am going to stop blabbing until I know what, where and if I can keep talking. I hope this input is helpful. For some reason I can't upload the pics, I will keep trying. I will also try posting the pics at the track topic I posted a while ago.