View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 02:09 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Voltage reduction

Rob, I think your best bet would be the 20 amp Castle regulator. 20 amps should be enough to handle powering the MFU and the main drive motor. As long as you are smooth with the throttle, I don't think a 540 sized motor would pull 20 amps, unless it was under a serious load. A 540 can motor can pull more then 20 amps in the right situation, so if you don't think the regulator can handle the current draw, I would suggest this. Replace your hydraulic pump motor with a 7.2 volt motor, that will run the same RPM as your current 12 volt motor. Figure out what RPM you need to keep the pump speed the same and choose a lower turn 540 motor to keep the speed up. I think it would be easier to swap the motors then to bother with a regulator. A good 540 motor won't cost you anymore then a 20 amp regulator. The only thing to be concerned with is the bolt pattern of the current motor vs that of a new 540 motor. Sometimes the Germans have some odd patterns. An adapter plate might be necessary, and maybe a longer shaft coupler of some kind.