View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 07:33 PM
Green Horn

WhiteWolf McBride is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Work Shop For Me!!!

Tyler,

Makes me oh-so-envious of people who have the space... and some decent tools as well!

You using bare wood tabletops? You might try a tip I've used for years to strengthen & protect the wood: thinned epoxy. Its as cheap as urethane, but ~much~ stronger, and easier than fibreglassing 'em.

I know I mentioned it elsewhere, but here goes: get some two-part epoxy, like HobyPoxy, preferrably 45 minute set, and mix equal parts as directed. Then you add the secret ingredient - Klenk's Epoxy Thinner. With this you can take the thicker epoxy down to paint thickness (or even a bit thinner), and apply with a brush or roller to your tabletop. Let it dry for at least 24-48h, then sand and re-apply. First coat seals the wood, second coat protects it. You can even buy epoxy-paints for models, if you want to color the tabletop. Black Baron is one name I seem to remember...

Between the Hobypoxy and Klenks, its cheaper than any other finish, and any gouges can be easily touched up with a re-coat!

Just be careful to add the Klenks ~slowly~ to the mixed epoxy, as it doesn't take very much to thin the epoxy down. I can't give you estimates, as I've not mixed any in a number of years, and never needed to quote amounts. If the weather keeps warm, I may be soon, to seal my two 4' boat hulls, and the deck for my flatbed trailer.

WhiteWolf