View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 10:26 AM
Green Horn

cdm is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My Mruder (bruder cat320 something look alike)

began making my own coupler.. I could just mount the bucket directly like last time but couplers are cool. I am mounting first, then trimming when needed and then trimming for looks. Enjoy the squareness until i get to that stage

Also redid the articulation links. I toyed with the idea of cutting a new H link out of solid metal, but im trying to keep weight down at this point. So i just used some standoffs to bolts between the 2 links and make a lightweight, althought not scale looking H link. It will do.

As you see i have to cut and regrind the stick yet again. needs more taken off the underside. Originally i didn't even have space for washers between the mount points. Which resulted in my paint getting all scratched up where there was contact. Now i am leaving enough space for at least 1mm shims on either side. Just little things here and there i suppose.

This brings me to adventures in metalworking. I am a total beginner in that but im figuring things out. Not a fan of the bucket screws but they will stay for strenght. I alumiwelded the gaps and what not between the pieces then grinded it down smooth. Put a coat of filler (still to sand that) over to cover any microcracks and prevent water from freezing in when i leave it outside.. Because it will happen.

Now alumiweld is something like solder mixed with liquid aluminum. It is weird, it doesn't behave like solder and is really made out as a filler and not as a structural weld due to its hit or miss bonding. You can bead it and parts will grip like crazy and other sections won't; it appears it is very sensitive to heat both on it and on the surface. Underheating or overheating will not let it stick properly or at all. That's why i am leaving the screws in. Anyhow, it is cheap compared to the specialty metal filled epoxies at 60$/oz. You can tap it even. It is just weird to apply and has selective adhesion (or very specific application needs which looking at the array of videos, nobody has quite figured out yet). For the price i am happy with it and it got me the rounded shape i wanted.

I dont know if i will add the side flaps on the bucket. I started putting in a little cuve and might just extend that. As i said, weight that far out is adding up. I still have to add the mounts to the bucket itself so more weight.

PS. i wanted to make a bucket, i may still get a premacon one. But unless you make it yourself, how will you learn right...

Last edited by cdm; 03-16-2013 at 10:28 AM.