View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 10:52 AM
Wannabe

kingbob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Movie Optimus Prime build

I'm working on the light bars that sit next to the aircleaners at the moment. I want to get anything attached to the body done before i paint in case i have to make holes, cut bits out etc.
This:

But am in a dilemma. I got a load of bezels which are just awesome little pieces of work, and i'm using them elsewhere so i'd like to use them here. But, because the bezels end up being 6mm across for a 3mm LED, they take up heaps more space when theres 8 in a row. Factoring 1mm gap between each, they come in at 57mm, which makes it taller than the air cleaner. But as you can see in the pic, the group should be smaller. At that length it also puts the lowest 2 below the top of the fender.

If however i use the 3mm LED by itself, i can make it much smaller at 33mm which puts the appearance much closer to the real thing. But then i dont get the look of the bezels. Plus the blue LED's actually have a clear body so wont look right when not lit.

This is a size comparison, i mocked up the full 57mm version in styrene to check.

The bezels look so much better, but take up a lot more space.

And to make matters more complicated, compared to the movie truck, the air cleaners i have are actually shorter, they should go down to the bottom edge of the cab, which would make the bar with bezels work better.

Thoughts?

Last edited by kingbob; 04-22-2013 at 10:57 AM.