Thread: My Pet peeve
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2010, 02:30 PM
Green Horn

Vanisle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My Pet peeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff View Post
ya i know its bs. i thought that hobby and model stuff was exempt from duty. thats what i was told by a guy i worked with doing model rail road stuff. he says they can charge tax on it but thats it.
The import laws can be pretty complicated. If there is duty payable, it depends on the country of origin as to how much duty is payable. It you really want to do reaseach, you can go through the CBSA Tariff:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-com...blmod-eng.html

Depending on what the item is, general hobby parts would likely fall under Chapter 95 - Toys while radio control items would likely fall under Chapter 85 Electrical Etc. Raw materials,i.e. metals would be under Section XV.

Duty and taxes are different. Duty is payable under the tariff unless the tariff says no duty is payable. There is no duty for items that fall under NAFTA. So, no duty is payable when purchasing items made in the USA. Of course, many things purchased from the US are made elsewhere and duty should be payable but isn't because CBSA doesn't look that closely at it when it is imported ... but they could.

Taxes are always payable when importing goods unless there is an exemption, ex. by mail items $20 and under are tax free as are gifts $60 and under. So why do some things valued above this make it through by mail? Because CBSA missed it when sorting it at the mail facility when it comes into Canada or decided it wasn't worth the effort to process.

In person at the border it depends on how long you have been absent from Canada ($50 exemption for 24 hours, $400 exemption for 48 hours, $750 exemption for 7 days). Practically, if you are only bringing in a small amount of goods ($100-$300) after an afternoon of shopping, you will almost never have to pay taxes because the border guard will send you on your way.

I am always prepared to pay what I am legally required to and consider it a bonus when I don't have to. I have had way more bonuses that not over the years.