View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 02:25 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 1950 Kenworth Needlenose

Happy 4th of July everybody. Hope you all enjoyed the holiday. I didn't watch any fireworks this year. Instead I spent the day baling hay with my dad, and then afterward, a little time in the workshop, working on the Kenworth build. I managed to get my 5th wheel plate mounted to the truck.

I machined up a plate that bolts to chassis and doesn't interfere at all with my rear cross member. Originally I planned to use a Wedico 5th wheel, but I later changed my mind, wanting something more scale that fit better. For a while I thought I'd try and design a way to slide the 5th wheel, but after thinking about it, drawing plans, and measuring things I decided against it. It would have been fun for the cool factor, but in reality I just didn't see myself moving the 5th wheel anyway. Making it permanent allowed me to have a slimmer low profile look, which is exactly what I was after.

Here's a photo of the Wedico 5th wheel, compared to the Scale Art Jost 5th wheel I went with. I thought something looked a little 'off' about the Wedico 5th wheel. The height bothered me too. It's a lot taller then the Scale Art 5th wheel and there is no way to lower it down. I could gone lower on the Scale Art, but left it a little bit higher for more articulation.

The Scale Art 5th wheel has a lot finer detail, and I'm glad I decided to purchase it. I think it looks great sitting on the chassis. At least now the truck will be able to pull something! Thanks for looking.