View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013, 01:06 AM
Wannabe

kingbob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Movie Optimus Prime build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigger View Post
Hey Bob, quick question, how do you sand/putty/primer, and what do you use to do it? (start/finish grits, different grits for layers, type of putty, type of primer, average amount of repeats).
Putty i mostly use Tamiyas polyester putty. Has a hardener so hardens in no time at all, and easily sandable. Very smooth with no grain, applies like cream.

Primer i mostly use a grey acrylic primer filler from an auto parts store. Though i do use a Tamiya superfine white primer sometimes. It can be good to have colour contrasts so you can see where you've sanded too much.

Sanding is a mix. That sanded hood was with a 240 grit painters sandpaper since i had to cut through all the bad paint. Now that its primed, i'll go over it with 400, and probably 600 as well. I use wet and dry for 400 and up, but only use it dry. If i'm polishing aluminium i'll go to 1000, 1200, 1600, and 2000 grit, done wet.

I do go to 800 on putty/primer, but usually only before i'm about to paint, so it gives the smoother finish.

Number of times, basically just until its smooth. With the extended hood, to get the join smooth and invisible, i probably puttied/primed/sanded at least 4 layers. Probably way overkill, but i just do it till it looks right to me.

But dont take me as a guru or anything, i'm just making it up as i go along! lol