Thread: Bob's Hauler
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Bob's Hauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigger View Post
Hey Nathan, if you need to make a straight cut up against a hard edge like this, you should try thread. Regular old thread does a great job of cutting through styrene, and other plastics.

The best part is that it goes as fast or slow as you want, and can instantly change directions, or do 90-degree angles. I used this method for cutting my fenders off, and it worked like a charm!

Tape also works great as a "guide line". Here is a video of the process:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XDFoKaRAhc

Sorry to go off on this, Bob. Did you use an X-Acto? What is your plan for the fenders?
Thanks for the tip Bigrigger. I tried cutting with thread one time, and I couldn't make a go of it. The thread broke to easily. Might have to play around with this idea again someday, but maybe I'm just not talented enough to pull off major body modifications!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbob View Post
Actually as i mentioned in my OP thread, i used a scribing tool to cut it.
Theres already an engraved panel line where the hood meets the cab, so easy to scribe along to cut. And to cut the sides out, i scribed along the raised line with rivets on. Simple.
Bob, I remember the scribing tool. Once again, I never thought about using it to cut a body up. Good idea! Your latest updates are looking great. I imagine you'll have this one knocked out in no time.