View Single Post
Old 12-08-2013, 07:49 AM

bartles is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 305 Koehring Build Start

I think the drum barrel area will either need less weld or I might bore out the flanges and well the barrel from the outside of the flange....definitely need less weld metal to machine lagging grooves in for sure. I need the thickness of the flanges in the barrel bore area to hold the ball bearings...I really don't want to machine bearing carriers. Like I said, my machining skills are rusty, and they weren't all that great to begin with!! This is going to be a fun project.

9W, no these are not pipe threads, just a poor job of spindle speed vs thread speed! Incidentally, nice job on your barrel machining....I think I'll copy your grooves with a more rounded lathe tool and increase the pitch to accommodate larger rope...and slow down my spindle speed for sure!! You will see smaller to larger diameter drum sizing in many shovel applications...the small diameter is utilized at the initial beginning of the dig cycle to help the machines break out force then increasing line speed to increase the machines cycle speed(according to a Koehring serviceman who helped us with a warranty repair/replacement service call)

Thanks