View Single Post
Old 02-23-2017, 02:43 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nylint michigan crane conversion, hopefully

Little more progress to share now that i've got better pics... still need to go pick up more hardware again.

Swing gear mounting,
i used 3mm hardwear mounted from below with slightly oversize holes so i can center gear zero if needed with house on. It took more than a little bit of math and dial caliper time to get the hole layout.

Find centers on slew gear diagonal screw holes, divide that. Take pivot post OD, divide that. Take 1/2 pivot, subtract from to 1/2 diagonal, mark circle. Set gear on marks, check circle under screw holes. Locate screw holes on circle, mark, recheck, dimple, drill, dry fit.
---
Example math
1.300" diagonal Align t-rex helicopter gear (0.650)
Nylint Michigan 0.250" post (0.125)
0.650 - 0.125 = 0.525" from edge of post to ring mounts

Doepke Unit 0.186" hole (0.093)
0.650 - 0.093 = 0.557" from edge of hole to ring mounts

Then verify those marks are viewable through all the slew ring mount holes, if not you messed up somewhere.
---
Swing servo under house.
Installed servo in a 0.125" aluminum plate to get spacing far enough below house support ring to get my pinion into the fixed gear. Clearanced the servo case around swing gear, bigger spur would have helped. 4mm hardwear, installed from the top so i can adjust gear mesh with cab on.

Cable drum mount and off side support rack.
Support pins are ball ends from turnbuckles, 3mm thread that was spares from my 1/16 everest rock crawler dumptruck. Racks mount into the window surround with 4mm hardwear. Top servo, top forward mount ear removed for clearance

Last edited by frizzen; 10-08-2022 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Added math while i marked on a Doepke