View Single Post
Old 02-03-2021, 02:06 AM
Wannabe

trilliwilli is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nylint michigan crane conversion, hopefully

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9W Monighan View Post
We have some 1:1 Unit shovels at our outdoor show...Brownsville Pennsylvania National Pike show
I won't be down there till mid April or May though.
That is a nice offer. If I need some dimensions i can always ask. I have been searching for a Unit crane over here but it is difficult to find one. They are mostly scrapped, safety regulations makes it impossible to work with these old cranes without modifications. Due to COVID i haven't been able to visit an oldtimer event, nothing went thru due to restrictions.

@frizzen

Thank you so much for the effort and the info. Fortunately the Doepke crane seems to be very accurate at scale 1:16, so these dimensions are very useful.

For the calculations from 1:16 to 1:14 is no problem, and from inches to metric is also not a problem, I have to deal with that at work as well.

I can sketch a first outline now to see if all the dimensions are in relation to each other.

My interest comes from my father, he was operator on a Unit 1014 truck mounted crane back in the seventies. My grandfather owned two of these cranes. The upper structure of the 1014 (truckmounted) is the same as the 614(crawler), the 617(longer crawler, wider shoes) and the 357(wheelmounted), which is your version of the Doepke crane.

All these cranes can be converted from dragline, clamshell and hoist with the crane boom, and as cable hoe attachement or shovel attachement.

Most cranes in Europe were the 1014 model, because these were ex US army cranes, used by starting crane companies, or the licensed built Neal-Unit cranes from the UK.