View Single Post
Old 10-09-2022, 11:21 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nylint michigan crane conversion, hopefully

So some Jerry guy around here has been telling me for a while that WPL crawler B or C series aluminum axles are the right width for the crane carrier. Aluminum wheels, fill the tires with something. The spacing on tandems are even right.

Although apparently WPL-B truck frame width is a bit wider than the Nylint frame structure under here. It will likely need some flavor of Walking beam or Link & coil spring setup instead of Leaf. Smart guy could probably "mill' their frame cross members to width and see how that all fits. My big concern is how to get that suspension stout enough to not destabilize things, or require installing forward outriggers like real machine has.

I'm not even sure how much this machine already weighs, but it wasn't light just as a toy.

Maybe get a Gorilla or make a "Man with the yellow hat" to drive the rig?

So i did the right thing, and have been randomly focusing on several other beat up toys in the garage instead of getting parts for this shiny one in the living room... (Buying new furnace & ac stuff over the summer seemed more priority? That can't be right)