Thread: New old toy
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 02:49 AM

Southgate is on a distinguished road
Default New old toy

Here she is in all 'er glory (or lack of). Today I went and plunked down the cash that I'd been gathering for this thing, got the keys and title. It needs some minor work to get it running. The seller is OK with me leaving it in place until the weather improves.

It's a 1980 C-700, formerly owned by Southern Pacific (RR). It has a 370. The crane is a 11,000 lb Utility with all hydraulic movement. The bed is 12 feet long, the crew cab is about 3 feet wide. The whole truck is 25 feet long. It has it's share of body dents and such, but everything works strong.

This hits me on several different levels; I like cranes, I like railroad stuff, including maint equipment. I am particular to Southern Pacific, as that was the local road where I grew up. And, I like big trucks, and have always had a soft spot for these Ford C-trucks. I have lots of uses for this ol' beast, but i admit, it's mainly a toy. I sold off other stuff to buy it, so it doesn't come out of the domestic budget. Which eliminates any friction with my wife Dan

Last edited by Southgate; 03-19-2011 at 05:23 AM.