View Single Post
Old 05-28-2018, 10:06 PM
Green Horn

Wombii is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scania airport fire truck

As far as I can tell, the front winch / monitor / rescue platform mount is mounted to the chassis through the lower grille on the real thing. To replicate that directly I would have to do some advanced metal work, and I don't have the skills or setup to do that. I'll do what I can with styrene and hope it's strong enough for some light winching. With the bumper raised by 10mm on the cab mount the lower mounting holes are exposed, and can be used as anchor points for some extra strength. I drilled a set of holes in the middle of the cab mount plate and screwed in a set of brass hex spacers.

The new holes work as both mounting holes for the bumper itself and the winch platform.

The two things at the bottom are removable to hide the screw holes as much as possible.

I don't like that the lower screws are visible, but they're needed for strength if I ever use the winch. Hopefully they'll be less prominent when it's all painted black.

The lower grille is moved out from the truck, like the real thing. I believe that's how they make room to mount the platform to the chassis. The winch is a 1:10 crawler winch that is almost the perfect size.

I had to make some adjustments to the width of the RM8E water cannon body to fit it next to the winch, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I don't think I'll put servos on it because the front is a bit cramped, but it is fully articulated.