View Single Post
Old 04-14-2020, 06:52 PM
Green Horn

Zabco is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cat 340D Excavator build

Quote:
Originally Posted by crueby View Post

That is an APT boring head - it takes the same 3/8" boring bits as the Sherline, but is a much more rigid and accurate head. The Sherline one just pushes on the moving portion of the head in one direction, so its easy for things to slip when tightening it down. The APT dial moves the head both directions, and there are adjusting screws on the dovetail to tension it all - I've had much better luck with it. They do not make it to match the Sherline headstock threads, so I had to turn down an adapter and mount it in a mill cutter blank holder with a 1/2" hole. Taller than the stock one, but I think it works better. I do have the taller column on the mill, so it can handle the extra height for most parts.

Chris
Thanks very much for info. I have a Sherline mill also and really like it but the one accessory they make that I really don't care for is their boring head for the reason you stated. I will have to look into getting one like yours. Keep up the great work, I really enjoy following your builds.