View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 12:35 PM
Wannabe

Snowman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: my intermediate project, steamroller

Thanks Nathan. It took me ages to decide which model to go for but in the end I prefered the green roller to the blue traction engine, it just looks a bit too toyish in blue. I ended up repainting the whole thing anyway so colour wasn't really an issue! What helped me decide in the end is that steamrollers were used in roadbuilding right up to the early 60's in the UK. The oldest parts of the motorway near to me were rolled with steamrollers. I thought I'd make a tribute to that.
As for the rc thing, wilesco actually offer that already. But only steering and forward/backward can be controlled. There is a control valve but it is not very progressive, not sure it would work very well for rc. Plus the flywheel often needs a bit of help to get it going. There is a certain simple pleasure in running alongside it tweaking the controls as it goes while trying not to burn your fingers on the hot metal parts! What's great about this model is you can disengage the rear wheels and have it running stationary, you can even run accesories off the pulley.

My Peterbilt build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.